About Me

My photo
Brian J. W. Lee is a writer. When he's not writing, he's plotting to plunge the world in a deep chasm of terror, darkness and screams. Sorry, did I get carried away?

Thursday 1 September 2016

Writing Report #9: Slump

This Writing Report is for Wednesday (31/08/2016) and Thursday (01/09/2016).

As the week came closer to the end, so did my stamina reserves. Sometimes, I don't know how some of the more prolific authors do it. Even Stephen King was just the tip of the iceberg. There were some that would put down 3,000 words, heck, 10,000 words a day. Assuming their quality is equal or better than mine... It would be like they are in a permanent state of Writing-Nirvana as I've taken to call it.

Maybe that's what I should be aiming towards, to somehow reach that point in the past, somewhere around July or August last year, that I could double, triple, or quadruple my output without sacrificing quality. Or even better, I believe the quality of my writing to be easily better when I'm in a state of Writing-Nirvana.

For now though... On Wednesday, I wasn't even able to completely edit a single chapter. Just most of it. To be fair, it was a 3,750 words long chapter, nearly 20 pages, but still... I've conquered twice that in one day before.

I had to make up for it on Thursday. I finished Wednesday's quota, but again, faltered - only one chapter for Thursday. And I didn't finish up that chapter either.

Only way I can explain it is that I've gone back to hitting the road with my running shoes. Military service, forever the blight to my creativity, got in the way. Maybe. My exercise goal is to run 2.4km followed by a 1.2km walk 3 times a week. And before this, I'd been walking 3.5km on most weekdays, until my new running regime forced me to cut that down to 2 days a week.

I'd always believed that a healthy body is necessary for a healthy mind, a healthy mind, good writing - Therefore exercises lead to good writing. It seems that... That philosophy has been threatened for once. But maybe I'm just in a state of transition? I sure hope so. I'm certainly not running solely because of military obligations. I've never liked National Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment